Need help planting a successful garden or landscape? Here are some April planting tips from the Dallas Arboretum horticulture staff and the Dallas County Master Gardeners that can help keep your home garden looking beautiful this Spring. Plant care should be your focus in April.
- Begin planting summer annuals, such as lantana and pentas (sun) and begonias and coleus (shade), as they become available at local nurseries. Some summer tropicals may also be found in nurseries toward the end of April
- Now is great time to plant new perennials in your garden. Make sure to select plants that are right for your zone. Consult nursery professionals if you are uncertain.
- Continue planting new trees and shrubs. Don’t forget to fertilize new plantings.
- All summer veggies and herbs can be planted this month.
- Continue sodding and seeding lawns. As the temperatures warm, make sure sod stays moist until it begins to root out.
- Continue any tree and shrub pruning to reshape old and new growth.
- Continue pruning and reshaping any spring blooming shrubs and vines after they finish flowering.
- Continue fertilizing lawns and prepare to start mowing if you haven’t already.